Best Laptop to buy for Freebsd Without OS?

Brian Callahan korszca at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 00:00:02 UTC 2011

> 3) Buy a machine with the base Win 7 Home installed, decline the license, and request a refund.
>   Be prepared to waste significant time on this, but it can be done.

IANAL, but I have been informed by several lawyers that you cannot do
this. The Windows 7 EULA, when preinstalled on a machine, states that
the agreement is between you and the company selling you the computer,
and "By using the Software, you accept these terms. If you do not
accept them, do not use the software. Instead, contact the
manufacturer or installer to determine its return policy. You must
comply with that policy, which might limit your rights or require you
to return the entire system on which the software is installed."

The major OEMs will say "OK, then you must return the computer," and
you have no option but to comply. This is true for the USA.

If you want no-OS laptops, try Puget Systems www.pugetsystems.com or
PCs for Everyone www.pcsforeveryone.com

HTH

~Brian