Best Laptop to buy for Freebsd Without OS?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Feb 17 19:15:02 UTC 2011

Hola, Jorge--

On Feb 17, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Jorge Biquez wrote:
> I am evaluating to buy a new laptop for using it only with Freebsd. I know in the website mention some options. Thing is that here the most powerful ones (I3, I5 I7) are sold ONLY with Windows installed and that increase the value of the equipment. I want the best option at a nice price (could be Intel or AMD) the ide is to have it as my main machine and when I need Linux or Windows have them there running under VirtualBox. The use will be mainly for web development.

You have some choices:

1) Find a vendor offering to sell a machine with Linux preinstalled.
   At times in the past, IIRC, both HP and Dell used to do this.

2) Call up a sales guy from your preferred vendor and ask to purchase a bare machine without OS.
   If they refuse to sell you one, choose another vendor.

3) Buy a machine with the base Win 7 Home installed, decline the license, and request a refund.
   Be prepared to waste significant time on this, but it can be done.

Regards,
--
-Chuck