FreeBSD and SSD drives

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Feb 12 19:13:21 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:54:19 +0000, Frank Shute <frank at shute.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 07:12:08PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > Should I stop and buy a SATA disk?:)
> >

> No you shouldn't but you should run FreeBSD on it ;)

What else should one run?! ;-)

> All I know is that I've been using one in my workstation for coming up
> to a year with no problems so far.

For noise issues, SSDs surely beat HDDs, but this will
be compensated by all the fans in "modern" PCs for the
power supply, the processor, the chip"set", the housing
fan, the graphics card, the other graphics card... :-)

> Take it from a mechanical engineer that SSDs are much more robust than
> HDDs, which is one reason they (HDDs) are going the way of the dodo.

At least in mobile devices (such as netbooks) they are
welcome. Energy parameters seem to be okay, and the
absence of moving parts is a big plus for this kind of
devices where robustness is considered to be important.

> I recommend that people should use SSDs for their workstations.

No problem if a SSD fails after 2 years in use (just an
arbitrary assumption), because of two reasons: (A) the
computer itself will fail or at least considered outdated
after that time, so it will get replaced, and (B) there
are backups. Yes. There ARE backups.

> Makes
> a big difference in performance and makes the computer much more
> pleasant to work on.

Definitely, but consider my comment at the beginning. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany