Starting from Scratch!

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Wed Feb 2 18:31:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 12:09:11PM -0000, Graham Bentley wrote:

> After several months away from FreeBSD I am asking
> for advice on versions for general desktop / interest
> use [non critical learning platform]
>
> Should I hang on a bit for 8.2 to go current?
>
> Or will I easily be able to update RC3 in any case?
>
> Thanks!

Graham, you might want to consider doing your installation with a copy
of PC-BSD.

It's got a better installer than FreeBSD's sysinstall and you can use
ZFS if you like. Here's an article which shows the PC-BSD installer in
action:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/08/17/pc-bsd-8-1-review/

If I was you, I wouldn't wait for 8.2, I'd get stuck in and treat the
inevitable upgrade as a learning experience.

Regards,

--

 Frank