Opening Opera as user

Rem P Roberti remegius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 06:47:17 UTC 2011

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:14 AM, Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net
> <mailto:remegius at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     I log in directly from the console using 'startx'.  And I hate to
>     sound really ignorant, but I'm still pretty much a newbie and not
>     sure where the environment variables are found.
>

> You should be doing this step as your normal user, not root if that is
> what you are doing.  Otherwise whatever you run from X with start as
> root.  If you see a '#' at the end of your prompt, it's a root
> prompt.  You may find it easier to follow the handbook's guide on
> desktop environments using the auto startup methods.  Some of the DE
> prevent you from logging in as root so you wouldn't have been able to
> run into this issue.  If you do plan on using this as a desktop
> system, a desktop environment can make things easier anyway.  You can
> always drop down to a console if needed but most of the time it's a
> lot more convient to use the DE's terminal or konsole or whatever.

I always start x as user.  I learned early on not to make the mistake of
starting X as root.  I use Fluxbox with X, and had a terminal window
open there with root invoked for that window.  That's when I first tried
to open linux-opera.  Naturally, it opened fine, but will not open if I
try to do the same thing from a terminal window as user.  I would like
to set up Opera to open from the Fluxbox menu, but in order for that to
happen the program needs to be opened as user, which is just what I
can't do.

Rem