wireless access point in FreeBSD 8.2p2

Paul Beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 04:08:34 UTC 2011

On Aug 27, 2011, at 8:48 PM, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:

> tcpdump(1) is your friend; it seems cryptic and obtuse at first glance,
> but it will help immensely

I wasn't sure there was any reason to use that yet: I can't even ping it from another host.

> wlan0 itself will not assign v4 addresses to clients; you need a DHCP
> server for that

I plan to use static addresses as I do already (this is just a backup in case my WRT54G develops any issues).

> The hostap machine must be explicitly told to route packets, by setting
> gateway_enable="YES" in rc.conf and adding the appropriate routes

I have that and the existing wired interface has the route set (I am connecting through that to make this work). This raises the question of whether I am expecting the functionality of a bridge without having specifically made one.

> If you're intending this to be a home gateway, you will likely also need
> NAT.

I think NAT is handled by the telco hardware (on cable) for now.

Hmm, starting to think this may not work as I expect. It might be fine as an additional AP but not as a replacement without some configuration changes that I will have forgotten how to make by then. The WRT box runs the PPPoE connection for DSL which I should be switching back to. I'm sure it can be done with this but I think I'm asking for trouble.

So maybe this is a solution in search of a problem. Might be to just find a spare WRT54G or its modern equivalent.

But that doesn't mean I don't want to figure this out.

--
Paul Beard

Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?