Installing Python Packages

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 27 03:17:21 UTC 2011

On 8/26/11 8:24 PM, doug at safeport.com wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Greg Larkin wrote:
>
>> On 8/26/11 8:07 PM, doug wrote:
>>> I am teaching myself python and have 2.6 installed. What is the proper
>>> way to install py26-setuptools? As 2.7 is the default it appears that I
>>> can neither use pkg_add nor build from the ports tree.
>>>
>>> I can download the source and the 2.6 egg. It appears that I need to
>>> configure the egg for FreeBSD. Is that correct?
>>

>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> You can do this easily by using the ports tree.  First, add the
>> following to your /etc/make.conf (create the file if necessary):
>>
>> PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION=python2.6
>>
>> Next, do this:
>>
>> cd /usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools && make install clean
>>
>> You should be all set, and any other Python port that you install will
>> use the Python 2.6 installation, assuming you installed it from the
>> ports tree.
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>> Greg
>
> Great - I am sure it will, thank you.
>
> Where does one find all these 'magic' make variables?

Hi Doug,

The best place to start is by looking through the files
/usr/ports/Mk/*.mk.  In the header comment of each .mk file, you'll find
a long list of variables and what they are used for.

Some of the variables are only useful in the context of a port Makefile,
but other ones like PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION are used in /etc/make.conf.
At the moment, I don't know if there's an easy way to enumerate all
variables of the latter type, but that would be a good project.

I use things like:

NOPORTDOCS=yes
NOPORTEXAMPLES=yes
NO_X11=yes

in /etc/make.conf when building server images.

Regards,
Greg
- --
Greg Larkin