What USB dialup modem WILL work with 8.2?

Lars Eighner luvbeastie at larseighner.com
Fri Aug 26 23:19:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> On 8/26/2011 3:21 PM, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>>> So I am asking again: does anyone have a dialup modem of any kind which
>>> works correctly on 8.x to provide ppp-on-demand? If so what is it?
>> (As for promises about what *will* 100% guaranteed work, which seems to
>> be what you really want, I am afraid I can't give any.  It has been
>> several years since I last used a dialup modem, so I don't know for
>> sure what *will* work with todays software, only what should work.)
>

> Works for me once umodem is loaded as a kld...

bingo.

ucom was in my nearly GENERIC conf, so was ubsa and some other modules
mentioned.  umodem wasn't - and if the line was in GENERIC or NOTES I must
have deleted it for some reason instead of commenting it out.  Nonetheless,
locate reveals it is being built.  Works when it is loaded and creates
cuaU0.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html