Using both ar0 and underlying ad12/ad14 'at the same time' (smartmontools)

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 11:16:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a couple of FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE (as of 25/08) boxes. These have
onboard RAID 'type' controllers.

The OS is installed on 'ar0' (e.g. /dev/ar0s1d et'al).

Additionally I've installed the smartmontools port - which monitors drive
SMART attributes.

Am I ok setting this up to access the 'underlying' devices for ar0 (which
are also exposed by the OS) - e.g. as '/dev/ad12' and '/dev/ad14' - at the
same time as obviously data is being read / written to '/dev/ar0' (which
comprises both those disks as a RAID1 array)?

Cheers,

-Karl