to come from Linux to FreeBSD

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina at rktmb.org
Wed Aug 24 08:56:22 UTC 2011

On 08/24/2011 11:41 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Probably start by installing PC-BSD -- that's based on FreeBSD but
> tailored to providing the sort of desktop environment you'ld want on a
> laptop.

I made search before posting and it also seems a good directoin to take.

> Virtualization is actually a bit of a tricky thing with FreeBSD.
> There's Jail, which is excellent -- very light weight, but it only works
> with FreeBSD guests.

That will be alright for experimenting FreeBSD and learning.
Will I be able to jail a FreeBSD within a PC-BSD host?

>  There's VirtualBox, but that runs the guest OSes
> as a standard client application and it tends to be slow,

Mmmh, even on Linux I dont really like VirtualBox. I'd rather KVM.

> or there's
> Xen, where dom0 support by FreeBSD is in the works, but probably not
> good enough for production use yet.

According to http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/Xen, I think I could be
able to use Xen for learning purpose.

I used some Xen 3.0.x on Linux a long time ago then switched to KVM.

What about http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/BSD?
Some users in here?
It's just to use a PCBSD as host, then virtualize some Linuxes or
Windows for presentation purposes (not production).

The FreeBSDs will be "jailed".

> Running FreeBSD as a guest under most virtualization software works well
> -- it's fine with Linux KVM for instance.

Thank you.

--
RMA.