What dialup modem WILL work with 8.x and uart?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Aug 23 13:51:03 UTC 2011

On 8/21/2011 12:34 PM, Lars Eighner wrote:

> Since uart in 8.x will not support my PCI 3com hardware modem (as FreeBSD
> sio has since 4.x) and my PR is gathering dust, before I buy any more
> coaster sets from osdisc.com, it behooves to ask if there are any dialup
> modems that 8.x uart actually supports for ppp on demand?

A number of people have asked a number of times for you to provide
details as to what exactly does not work given that a number of people
use the same 3com modem you claim is totally broken.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-May/062731.html

I have the following modem is a few dozen locations that works just fine
on RELENG_7 and RELENG_8 using uart.

uart2 at pci0:0:14:0:      class=0x070002 card=0x00d312b9 chip=0x100812b9
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = '3COM Corp, Modem Division (Formerly US Robotics)'
    device     = 'USR5610B (0005610-02) 56K Performance Pro Modem (PCI
Internal) (USR5610B)'
    class      = simple comms
    subclass   = UART
    bar   [10] = type I/O Port, range 32, base 0xe500, size  8, enabled
    cap 01[dc] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D2 D3  current D0

# cu -l /dev/cuau2
Connected
ati3
U.S. Robotics 56K FAX INT V5.22.91