Ezjail & freebsd-update

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Tue Aug 23 08:21:43 UTC 2011

>I had an opportunity to upgrade a server from freebsd 8.1 to 8.2 since
>it had to be restarted any way. I upgraded it with freebsd-update and
>compiled a custom kernel with no problem. However I haven't been able to
>find a procedure for updating jails when they've been setup with ezjail.
>I did 'ezjail-admin update -u' however it doesn't seem like that
>upgraded things like the /etc/ dir inside jails. I'm not too worried
>since everything is working however if anyone can point me in the right
>direction I would appreciate it. I figure this will be especially
>important when moving to 9.0 when it's released.

I always use ezjail_admin update -i
Then do the normal mergemaster steps for the jails

mergemaster -iU -D /your/path/to/jail
You need to do that for every jail you have

So if you have three jails named jail_1, jail_2 and jail_3, you do this three times.

mergemaster -iU -D /your/path/to/jail_1
mergemaster -iU -D /your/path/to/jail_2
mergemaster -iU -D /your/path/to/jail_3

regards,