What dialup modem WILL work with 8.x and uart?

Lars Eighner luvbeasie at larseighner.com
Mon Aug 22 10:18:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:34:22 -0500 (CDT)
> Lars Eighner <luvbeastie at larseighner.com> wrote:
>>
>> Since uart in 8.x will not support my PCI 3com hardware modem (as
>> FreeBSD sio has since 4.x) and my PR is gathering dust, before I buy
>> any more coaster sets from osdisc.com, it behooves to ask if there
>> are any dialup modems that 8.x uart actually supports for ppp on
>> demand?
>
> Do you have a serial port on your machine?  If so, why not go with an
> external modem?  Always worked for me, back in the day.  :-)

And my internal hardware modem worked for me when there was a serial driver,
namely sio.  It won't work with 8.x and uart, so there is no reason to think
that things that used to work with sio will work with uart.

That's my question: what dialup modem is KNOWN to work with uart on 8.x?

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html