A quality operating system

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 21:39:00 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> That's correct. The freebsd-update program is _not_ to be used
> for few specific cases, i. e. the OS version is a -STABLE or
> even -CURRENT one, or the user is running a non-GENERIC kernel.
> In such cases, updating from source is inteded, as freebsd-update
> is a very good tool for binary updating following the -RELEASE
> path (releases and security patches). _That_ is what it is
> designed for. It's not a "one size fits all" program.

freebsd-update works quite well and quickly on systems with a custom kernel
with the additional caveat you *should* rebuild and install the kernel
afterward, and even this isn't always necessary.  This is assuming you're on
RELEASE or some BETA.  Depending on your configuration, you may wish to set
some additional parameters which are well documented.

As for the whole "upgrading is too hard", well let's just say if you can't
handle a make buildkernel; make installkernel command you would be looking
at termination if that person had somehow tricked their way into
employment.  The kindest thing I can say about anyone who thinks yum upgrade
or apt-get dist-upgrade to be some form of Shangri-La is they enjoy the
premise of ignorance = bliss.

Threads like this(vague generalities) really bring out the fubar, and I
would encourage anyone reading to research any fantastical claim(positive or
negative) prior to bringing credulity into the process.  Any of the
technical claims concerning FreeBSD seems to be exquisitely covered in the
Handbook.

Anyone who thinks the OP wasn't trolling should learn a lesson here.  Most
here prefer certain software for one reason or another, yet I would put
forward we don't feel the need to tell the alternatives they suck because we
don't understand the way it works.  This person went beyond such an ethical
boundary and made all these assertions prior to engaging the community.  As
if that wasn't enough, statements like spending 48 hrs configuring an audio
driver reveal the absurdity of these vagaries.  Finally, review the op's
email address which is the final nail in troll coffin if it wasn't
neutrino-proof already.  The only logical conclusion that can deduced from
such behavior is this a a more devolved form of the BSD is dying troll.

--
Adam Vande More