gnome-open won't open my browser

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Aug 20 15:52:39 UTC 2011

gnome-open is the program that opens your browser when you click
on a link in gnome-terminal.  Except that recently it's started
opening Gedit, the gnome text editor, instead.

I have triple super checked to be absolutely sure that the preferred
web browser application is my browser (chrome).  Since I never use
gedit, I have stuck in a kludge, replacing gedit with a one line shell
script that runs chrome instead, but that's silly.

Any suggestions where gnomo-open is getting the idea to run gedit
rather than a browser?

R's,
John