single user login

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Aug 17 17:10:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:38:36 +0200, Ruben de Groot wrote:
> I don't recall there was a boot loader menu in FreeBSD 4.x
> Just interupt boot by pressing a key, giving you the OK prompt. Then boot -s
> to go to single user mode (if that's what you want)

Correct. I think the "Beatie menu" appeared in the 5.X branch
of FreeBSD. It can still be disabled (by means of loader.conf),
so the default action to interrupt after the 1st boot stage
is still a valid method.

If you interrrupted too early, just pressing Enter for the
defaults is okay:

POST finished...

[space][space][space][space]

boot: [Enter]

[space][space][space][space]

Ok
boot -s		<- this starts into single user mode

In case there console is not marked as "insecure", there won't
be any further password requests and you'll successfully reach
a root prompt:

# _

--
Polytropon