devel/pear doesn't install (segfault)

Jeff Tipton jeff.t at mail.com
Tue Aug 16 17:06:26 UTC 2011

On 08/16/11 18:24, Jeff Tipton wrote:
> On 08/16/11 16:10, Jeff Tipton wrote:
>> devel/pear doesn't install (segfault)
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When I try to install pear from ports on my server, it spits out a
>> whole bunch of messages like:
>>
>> Preparing installer..................
>> PHP Deprecated:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is
>> deprecated in /go-pear/PEAR/Config.php on line 650
>> (...)
>> PHP Deprecated:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is
>> deprecated in /go-pear/PEAR/Registry.php on line 322
>> (...)
>> PHP Deprecated:  Assigning the return value of new by reference is
>> deprecated in /go-pear/PEAR/Command.php on line 137
>> (...)
>> PHP Warning:  date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone
>> settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the
>> date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those
>> methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely
>> misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'UTC/0.0/no
>> DST' instead in /go-pear/PEAR/Registry.php on line 1012
>> (...)
>>
>> And then ends up like this:
>>
>> PHP Deprecated:  Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in
>> /go-pear/PEAR/DependencyDB.php on line 583
>> install ok: channel://pear.php.net/Console_Getopt-1.2.3
>> PHP Deprecated:  Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in
>> /go-pear/PEAR/Registry.php on line 1140
>> PHP Deprecated:  Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in
>> /go-pear/PEAR/Registry.php on line 1144
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> *** Error code 139
>>
>> Stop in /basejail/usr/ports/devel/pear.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /basejail/usr/ports/devel/pear.
>> ** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
>> /tmp/portinstall20110816-14452-1w1lpn0-0 env make reinstall
>> ** Fix the installation problem and try again.
>> ** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
>>     ! devel/pear    (install error)
>>
>> First, beause the messages start with "PHP Deprecated", I thought
>> it's about my php being outdated. Some extensions really were, so I
>> upgraded them, but nothing changed.
>>
>> I found, on FreeBSD Forums, a thread about "PHP Deprecated" messages,
>> and there the issue was to set open_basedir properly in php.ini. But
>> mine was not set (commented out) -- so, default value (/tmp) which,
>> as they say, doesn't cause problems.
>>
>> Then I tried to install pear on my FreeBSD 8.2 desktop, it again
>> printed all the "PHP Deprecated" messages, but it installed and I
>> even could do "pear upgrade PEAR".
>>
>> Then I tried to install pear from 7-stable packages on my server,
>> pear installed but when I tried to upgrade PEAR:
>>
>> #pear upgrade PEAR
>> Error getting channel info from pear.php.net: No cached content
>> available for "http://pear.php.net/rest/p/packages.xml"
>> Nothing to upgrade
> [...]
No, it doesn't go much further... When i try "pear install
horde/horde_role", it can't verify the downloaded package and complains
that php must have been compiled with "--disable-tokenizer". But
tokenizer is a separete package, and is installed on my system, and
isn't mentioned in UPDATING as others that are no longer supplied as
extension but as compiled in the core.

Tried to rebuild php without debug, and then "pear install
horde/horde_role" complains that there is no XML extension, but it's
there -- as a registered package, and in the
/usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini

# ls /var/db/pkg | grep xml
libxml2-2.7.8_1
php5-simplexml-5.3.6_1