System lockups in X with nVidia GeForce 7600 GS (G73) and Gtk+

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Aug 14 04:01:17 UTC 2011

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 22:12:26 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> I have nouveau working but for another card:
>
> vgapci0 at pci0:1:0:0:	class=0x030000 card=0x82781043 chip=0x06e410de
> rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
>     device     = 'NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (G98)'
>     class      = display
>     subclass   = VGA
>
> [olivares at quadcore ~]$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep 'nouveau'
> (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
> (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
> (II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [drm] failed to load kernel module "nouveau"

Do you still have the commands that successfully
brought you there?

> > It complains about xorg-server must be >= 1.8, but
> > only 1.7.7 is in latest ports (right now). This is
> > step 4 on the list. Note that it's "./autogen.sh",
> > not "./autogen" as in the article.
>
> This would explain it :(  The xorg-server is at 1.7.7, I questioned
> myself why xf86-driver-nouveau is from 2009 :(, and in Fedora it is
> just old and these guys keep churning and churning new & updated
> drivers :(

What I don't understand is how a port that's more than
one year old can require a X server version that's not
reached yet _today_... :-)

> The folks recommended me to get nvidia driver, but I get:
>
> quadcore# pwd
> /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver
> quadcore# make install clean
> ===>  Building for nvidia-driver-270.41.19
> ===> src (all)
> "/usr/share/mk/bsd.kmod.mk", line 12: "can't find kernel source tree"
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver/work/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-270.41.19.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver.

Just tried, and it compiled quick and nice. It also
seems to run very good, and 3D is also at a sufficient
rate (see my other reply to the list).

In your case - it seems that you don't have the kernel
sources installed? Populate your /usr/src tree via CVS
(csup) or from the installation media in case you're
using a -RELEASE system. The subtree for the kernel
is /usr/src/sys.

> The folks recommend it to me because of some additional things, lower
> CPU usage, better 3D stuff & other good things

I'm looking forward to be able to play my (today "old
fashioned") Linux and wine-powered 3D games. :-)

Next thing will be dual screen. I have to try that
in order to form an opinion if this is just silly
nonsense or helpful for my individual productivity.

> Some folks say that it is the recommended thing to do, is to install
> nvidia drivers.

As I have (hopefully correctly) understood from the
documentation of the "nv" driver, this one is only
for 2D. With the present incorporation of 3D stuff
into "simple" desktop applications this might be
worth considering.

PS. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace now works. I'm always "impressed"
    how much work it takes to _transform_ functionality
    that one takes for granted with all the old software
    into their "modern" continuations...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany