files/dd7c394c9c9ddf4b97f1b14c676f370adc259b2c7a4b8346eba0788a431db398.gz not found -- snapshot corrupt.

Hartmann, O. ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Aug 12 22:43:54 UTC 2011

On 08/12/11 22:54, Roland Smith wrote:
>>> This file is relatively recent; When I used portsnap yesterday, it wasn't
>>> there, and now it is.
>> I do a postrmaster on a nearly daily basis. This occured this morning
>> (German standard time) to me the first time.
> I did a portsnap just before my previous mail. It downloaded and extracted the
> particular file without problem.
>
>>> Have you fscked the volume that contains /var? If not I suggest you do. You
>>> might be looking at filesystem corruption.
>> No I did not. If this is a inconsistent filesystem (I thought about this
>> also), then it
>> has occured on ALL(!) FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT/amd64 boxes over night (this i
>> why I thought about the filesystem, since the FreeBSD 8.2/amd64-boxes do
>> not show this problem as I mentioned at the start of the post, my mistake).
> Another data-point: I'm on 8.2-RELEASE amd64 as well and it doesn't show a
> problem. So it could well be a CURRENT specific problem. But I would think
> that the filesystem code would be pretty mature by now. Maybe some changes in
> VFS?
I have a FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE/amd64 server at my lab, no problems. My
workstation, my laptop and my box at home are all FreeBSD
9.0-CURRENT/amd64, recent system (r224803) and they have all without
exception this problem.

>> I'll force a fsck as soon as possible. I started the boxes already and
>> they didn't show up any unclean filesystem so far ...
> Since portsnap cannot find the file in question, I assume you have checked
> that it existed and that it was a normal file etc?
>
> Could it be a hardware issue? Some time ago I began to have random filesystem
> corruption and lockups. After cleaning out two years worth of dust out of the
> machine in question it now runs fine again.
>
> Roland
No hardware issue. This hardware issue must have occured on three
different systems the same time. An unlikely coincidence.

I did a complete fsck. No problems with the filesystem.
But the problem remains. Again, I'll delete /var/db/portsnap and if it
doesn't help, I'll also delete /usr/ports ...

Oliver