Has anyone been able to configure a Linksys E3000 using freebsd or pcbsd?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Aug 12 00:27:49 UTC 2011

Hi--

On Aug 11, 2011, at 5:03 PM, eculp wrote:
> In a trade with a "friend", I ended up with a Linksys E3000.  The only windows machine that I have is my wife's 10" laptop that doesn't have a dvd.  I use FreeBSD or pcBSD for everything, workstations, servers, etc.  I need to configure this thing but can't find any instructions on web based configuration.  The FAQ and the dvd all imply that you must run the windows installation programs.  I doubt that is true.  I've used other Linksys products, printservers, AP's, etc. with no problem.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can do a reasonable job of configuring an E3000 without using the Windows installer-- manually set up the laptop at IP 192.168.1.2 using a direct ethernet cable, and the router ought to be at http://192.168.1.1.  Note that most of these Linksys Exxxx models, especially the ones with the "L" prefix are updated variants of the classic WRT54G(L), and you might consider running DD-WRT instead of the stock Cisco/Linksys firmware.

Regards,
--
-Chuck