FreeBSD WIFI USB adapter

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Aug 11 17:27:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:27:29 -0000
bud at taiotoshi.org articulated:

> Folks:
>
> I have a Dell XPS Studio laptop with a broadcom wifi adapter built
> in. I've had no luck trying to compile in the BWI option into the
> kernel to get it to work and think that buying a cheap usb WIFI
> adapter is the quickest way to make wireless 802.11 b/g work.
>
> Realizing that some chip sets are better supported than others, I was
> hoping some list subscribers might be able to identify currently
> offered USB WIFI adapters that they know to work.  I will then
> purchase one that has a good track record.
>
> Any suggestions/comments on adapters that work would be greatly
> appreciated.

Basically, stay away form any "N" devices. Even the cheapest WIFI's
offer "N" today, so be sure to purchase one that doesn't support it or
else in all probability you will not be able to secure a driver for it.
I know that sucks; however, it is what it is. It is also the reason I
totally gave up attempting to use FreeBSD on any modern Laptop.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.