FreeBSD supported versions (UNCLASSIFIED)

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Aug 10 23:45:28 UTC 2011

Hi--

On Aug 10, 2011, at 4:26 PM, Wright, Jonathon Mr CTR US USA USARPAC wrote:
> How do I know as an admin of my FreeBSD server that the version I am running is supported via automated fashion?
> I'm trying to find a way to do this through a script of sorts so that when the date comes, I'm alerted that I need to upgrade.
>
> For example on this link: http://www.freebsd.org/security/#sup
> It has a table with dates / versions.
> How can I query this through the ports tree / or other means?

Hopefully you are familiar with freebsd-update, which provides automated binary updates:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-freebsdupdate.html

If "freebsd-update fetch" pulls in changes, then a new update exists for your version.  The docs mention doing this via daily cron entry which generates mail if an update has been found, so you can then proceed to install it at an appropriate time under human supervision.

Regards,
--
-Chuck