larger disk for a zfs pool

Dick Hoogendijk dick at nagual.nl
Mon Aug 1 15:04:52 UTC 2011

Op 1-8-2011 16:37, Dan Nelson schreef:
> In the last episode (Aug 01), Dick Hoogendijk said:
>> OK, my freebsd system runs on ZFS boot. W/ solaris getting larger disks
>> for a pool was quit easy. Simply replace one disk from a mirror for a
>> larger one, wait for the resilvering and after this replace the second
>> one for a larger disk and wait for the resilvering again. That's it.
>> Been there, done that. But my feeling tells me it is not that simple for
>> a FreeBSD zfs root system, or is it?
> Should be the same procedure.  Make sure you either use "zpool online -e"
> when swapping in the new disks, or that you have the zpool autoexpand=on
> attribute set.

But I'm confused about the gpart thing I did on the original disks.

$ gpart show
=>       34  156301421  ad4  GPT  (75G)
          34        128    1  freebsd-boot  (64K)
         162    8388608    2  freebsd-swap  (4.0G)
     8388770  147912685    3  freebsd-zfs  (71G)

=>       34  156301421  ad6  GPT  (75G)
          34        128    1  freebsd-boot  (64K)
         162    8388608    2  freebsd-swap  (4.0G)
     8388770  147912685    3  freebsd-zfs  (71G)

Do I repeat this gpart section on the new disk(s) before putting them in
the rpool (one at a time). Is it compatrible to putting the solaris
bootcode on disk before attaching them to a rootpool and resilvering? I
want to expand my rootpool but am a little confused about the right
procedure.