Ezjail and Flavours

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Fri Apr 29 23:02:31 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Alejandro Imass <ait at p2ee.org> wrote:
> Hi,

Answering myself here...

[snip]

> Mi idea is to soft-link the complete /usr/local directory of the
> compiling jail in the specific flavour so after the packages get
> installed I can just copy everything else over /usr/local
> It should be pretty safe either way I guess but probably there are
> people with a lot more experience with EzJail here ;-)

Did DID NOT work :-(

First, Ezjail copies first and installs the packages on first start of
the jail. I knew this but had forgotten so it is logical that first
copy the pkg install, duh!

Second, EzJail just copies the soft link and this of course will not
work just like that for obvious security reasons.

I erased the jail and tried a second time...

So here is what I did and seems to work:

1) Create your jail flavour standard with packages and all
2) Start the jail. This will install packages
3) Stop the jail
4) Copy the entire /usr/local of your compile jail to your new jail
5) Start the working jail

This seems easy enough and seems to be working perfectly!

What I have is different flavors of compiling jails: php52, php53,
catalyst 5.8, apache22, etc. Those are never used for production. Only
to compile and generate the packages for the EzJail flavours.

The other option would be to phisically copy the contents of
/usr/local to the flavour but I think it's a better idea to let the
packages install and _then_ copy /usr/local over that.

Anyway, it's working so cool!

Man, FBSD really rocks! Regardless of the thousands of technical
benefits, the clean cut separation of system and applications, _and_
Jails is to me, one the greatest things about FBSD.

--
Alejandro Imass