Password theft from memory?

Bob Hall rjhjr0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:17:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:10:10AM +0100, RW wrote:
> I'm not saying that anonymous mappings used by malloc aren't
> zero-filled, just that it's not mentioned anywhere in the mmap man
> page. I think it's just taken as read.

I just got what you're trying to say. Unfortunately, your quotes mislead
me about what you were concerned about. You're right, the man page
doesn't explicitly state whether anonymous mappings are zero filled or
not. Since man pages prioritize concision, I would expect the page to
explain how anonymous mappings are different from other mappings, but
not how they are the same.