Suddenly lots processes exits signal 11 (core dumped)

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Tue Apr 26 20:41:22 UTC 2011

Here's a small ISO containing memtest86 (and more). This ISO is a "hybrid ISO" meaning that you can either burn it to CD/DVD and boot off it, or you can dd(1) it to a thumb drive and boot off that.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/druidbsd/files/Druid-0.0.iso/download

Here's the instructions for writing it to USB (you likely already know how to write an ISO to CD/DVD):

1. Download Druid-0.0.iso
2. Insert thumb drive
3. Execute: camcontrol devlist
NOTE: find the `daN' device associated with your thumb drive
4. Execute: dd if=Druid-0.0.iso of=/dev/da5
NOTE: assuming `da5' is your thumb drive

--- At this point, your thumb drive is ready to rock and roll ---

Continue on to create a 2nd [visible] partition beyond the primary bootable [invisible] partition (allowing you to use the remainder of your thumb drive for usable storage)...

5. Execute: echo "p 2 0x0c * *" | fdisk -f - /dev/da5
NOTE: again, assuming `da5' is your thumb drive
6. Execute: newfs_msdos /dev/da5s2
NOTE: again, assuming `da5' is your thumb drive

That's it. You now have a thumb drive with:

a. An invisible boot partition for booting into Druid (a disc full of tools).
b. A visible partition for storage, usable under Mac, Windows, Linux, and UNIX.

NOTE: This won't work with just ANY iso file, just ISOs that have been post-processed with ISOLINUX's isohybrid utility.
--
Devin