Hardware suggestions

Jaime Kikpole jkikpole at cairodurham.org
Tue Apr 26 16:29:31 UTC 2011

I'm looking for new hardware for my web filter (FreeBSD + dansguardian + squid).

Can anyone suggest good (or warn about bad) models of hardware for
this?  I'm looking for a small tower or compact chassis (not rack
mount) with two ethernet interfaces.  I'd like RAID-1 as well, if
possible.  I can spend anywhere from $1,000 to $3,500.

My current system works well (2.0GHz, dual core, 8GB RAM, RAID-1, two
160GB disks, 3 100Mbps NICs), but I want to replace it with two
identical boxes.  Right now, its a single point of failure.  So I'm
hoping to rsync configs between two systems that are on line at all
times.  Then, if I need up upgrade software or the hardware breaks, I
can just swap the box.

Any pointers on this project are appreciated, especially what models
of computers would work well with FreeBSD.

Thanks in advance,
Jaime

--
Network Administrator