OpenVPN routing

Maciej Milewski milu at dat.pl
Tue Apr 26 14:53:11 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 26 of April 2011 15:45:22, Ryan Coleman wrote:
> I have a bridge set up, pingable... but can't ping the em1 (192.168.46.2)
from the remote machine.
> push "route 192.168.47.0 255.255.255.0"

Have you tried adding the route to 192.168.46.0/24 subnet into the vpn client?

You want to ping the host/interface on different subnet. If you don't set the
routing to this subnet how your client should know that he needs to put that
packet through tap interface not defaultroute which I suspect is different?

Can you show the output of netstat -rn of the vpn client?

You may try to look into tcpdump on the vpn router to find what is going with
your packets.And for such scenario like vpnclient->vpnserver->network you may
even not need nat just simple routing will be enough as long as you set it up
on right.

My setup is based on tun interfaces and works like a charm. I don't use nat
and I only added routing info to the specific routers in the internal
networks.

Maciej Milewski