Cannot boot from ZFS raidz1

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Fri Apr 22 09:32:14 UTC 2011

On Thu Apr 21 10:52:49 UTC 2011, Wolfgang Riegler wrote:

> I have used this setup guide
> (http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ1) line by line
> with the 8.2-RELEASE DVD for amd64 to install a VirtualBox guest for
> testing.
> The only difference to the setup guide: I use a SAS controler, so
> devicename is da0, da1, da2 instead of ad0, etc. I tried it with a
> SATA controler as well, but no differences.
>
> After reboot, I get the following error from the loader:
> ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
> ZFS: can't read MOS object directory
> Can't find root filesystem - giving up
> ZFS: unexpected object set type 0
> ZFS: unexpected object set type 0
>
> FreeBSD/x86 boot
> Default: zroot:/boot/kernel/kernel
> boot:
> ZFS: unexpected object set type 0
>
> FreeBSD/x86 boot
> Default: zroot:/boot/kernel/kernel
> boot:

I managed to delete your message before I got a chance to send a reply
to the list. Against better judgement I'm going to send this reply to
the list, knowing that I might create a new thread with the same
subject as your OP.

A VirtualBox guest will only see one hard drive at the BIOS level
during boot.

Thus, you should recreate your system using mirrored drives for
booting the OS. Once the OS has gained control over the system, ZFS is
able to see all the attached disks.

Maybe it's not so bad to separate the OS and your data, with the OS
stored on a couple of mirrored disks and your precious data stored on
three disks in raidz1 formation.

This recipe is a good starting point for setting up the OS:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror

I prefer using the remaining disk space for the freebsd-zfs partitions
and not limiting them to only 60 GiB.

HTH,
Trond.

- --
Trond Endrestøl                  | Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
ACM, NAS, NUUG, SAGE, USENIX     |    FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE & Alpine 2.00