building a port with very long list of build options

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 04:11:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Carl <k0802647 at telus.net> wrote:

> Let's say I want to build a port for which I need to specify a huge number
> of build options (eg. ghostscript). In my case I am cross-compiling on an
> amd64 host for what will be a NanoBSD i386 target, but I don't think that's
> important here. The scenario precludes using the familiar configuration
> menu. The problem is that the desired list of options far exceeds what would
> be sane to specify on the 'make' command line. In fact, it apparently even
> exceeds what typical text editors tolerate when trying to enter the line in
> a shell script. What is the recommended solution?
>
> Given that I do not want to customize the port's Makefile, I was hoping
> 'make' would support a command line option that would let me simply point to
> a separate file containing the list of variables to add, one per line. It's
> not apparent to me that that exists.
>
> Carl                                             / K0802647

If you read the make manual page , you will see the following option :

     *-f* *makefile*
	     Specify a makefile to read instead of the default one.

 which is used as

make -f your_own_make_file_name

This form will override the Makefile present in the current directory

and will use the specified make file with name your_own_make_file_name .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk