sound card not recognized by freebsd 8.2 but mentioned in PC-BSD 8.2

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Sat Apr 16 04:30:36 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Saturday 16 April 2011 11:16:39 Zhang Weiwu, Beijing wrote:
> On 04/16/2011 10:42 AM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > On Friday 15 April 2011 22:11:05 Zhang Weiwu, Beijing wrote:
> >> # kldload snd_driver
> > this will never work.
> >
> > You must load the driver for your sound card. Something like
> >
> > kldload  snd_hda
>
> I am confused, because the handbook says the opposite:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/sound-setup.html

the handbook also says:

'Other available loadable sound modules are listed in /boot/defaults/loader.conf.'

I simply tried some out. If I remember right, mine was also not listed to work but worked with the driver I used as an example for you.

Do not forget, the handbook is not necessarily written by the same person as the program.

Erich