8.2 RELEASE amd64 support for broadcom 432b(4322)

Ricardo Gomez ricardo.gomez331 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:54:27 UTC 2011

I am attempting to run freebsd on a macbook 5, 1. I installed using dvd1 and
everithing went fine. The only problem is that my
builtin wireless is a bcm432b which is PITA to make work in any
non-propietary system.I know for other bcm43xx cards there
is the bwi driver, but mine isn't supported. I've tried tried

   - Ndisgen on bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl564.sys
   - Ndisgen on bcmwl6.inf and bcmwl664.sys
   - ndiscvt bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl564.sys to ndis_data_header.h and compiling
   ndis.ko

Here's what I noted

   - bcmwl564_sys.ko creates an ndis0 interface which seems to work except
   it doesn't communicate with the router
   - also, when loaded from loader.conf somewhere in the boot sequence the
   computer reboots
   - bcmwl664_sys.kp does nothing
   - The new ndis.ko also does nothing

This is not my first attempt at FreeBSD on my macbook. The last time the
major stumbling block was the gpt and sysinstall. Now the big problem for me
is the wireless because I keep the router in another room. As extra info, in
Debian Lenny broadcom's wl driver works but iwconfig will NOT work.
In Ubunu 10.04 broadcom's wl works too but iwconfig won't work and it's very
slow.

I'd rather waste space on a networkless BSD. So if not i'll erase the
partition, install linux(debian), and try FreeBSD in a year or two.