Remote access to Freebsd server

afiddler10 afiddler10 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 16:03:53 UTC 2011

Hi, I am new to the Linux environment.  I am trying to build a virtual Freebsd server to run another virtual device (a Juniper router).  I have found that after building the base operating system that I cannot remotely access the virtual Freebsd server.  I have tried using both Qemu and VMware with the same result.  It looks to me as though the server has a default setting that allows it to contact other devices (e.g., I can ping, ftp, telnet, etc., other devices from my Freebsd server) but I cannot ping, ftp, telnet into the Freebsd server from my host PC.  My host is a Windows 7 desktop, but I have tried pinging from another virtual device and cannot get a response from the Freebsd server.  I do not believe that the issue is my Windows 7 PC.

I have tried the newest Disk 1 ISO image of Freebsd, 8.2, but I've also tried a few other images with the same result.

I have combed through the documentation, tried configuring the firewall using the "open" template, tried to disable the packet filter in rc.conf (pf_enable="NO"), to no avail.  I cannot reach the Freebsd server no matter what I have tried, and I feel I have exhausted my options.  The ports are open and responsive on the virtual server itself, but access seems to be blocked to the Freebsd server.

I am hoping you can tell me how to change the default settings on the Freebsd server to allow access from my Windows 7 host PC.  Hopefully it does not involve manually rebuilding the kernel!

Thanks for your help!