Stopping Less from creating Log Files

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Apr 11 21:33:53 UTC 2011

Martin McCormick <martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu> writes:

> This is a minor problem but I use "more" to read Email messages
> from nmh. If one forgets what screen one is in, it is possible
> to start typing and create a log file of the message in which
> ever mailbox directory one is reading out of.
>
> 	The man page for more is actually linked to less even
> though FreeBSD has /usr/bin/more and less. I even tried in the
> .mh_profile to call more with -Oo/dev/null but if you hit a key,
> the "logfile" prompt appears and any subsequent key strokes are
> part of the new file name.
>
> 	This really is only a minor nuisance because it creates
> junk files that then have to be removed from the directory. So,
> if there is a way to make more or less not write anything, it
> would be more or less appreciated.

The "secure" mode disables log files, but it also changes several other
behaviours, so you may not find it to be an improvement.  The code
supports changing those "secure" features separately, but only by
editing the source; if you go that way, it will probably be much easier
to use the ports version of the program instead of the base system's.