Linksys-E4200 Wireless N-router

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Fri Apr 8 15:41:55 UTC 2011

On 4/8/11 11:21 AM, Carmel wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:51:41 +0100
> Arthur Chance<freebsd at qeng-ho.org>  articulated:
>
>> On 04/07/11 15:32, Carmel wrote:
>>> Odhiambo, please don't CC me. I don't need multiple copies of the
>>> same post.
>>
>> CCing the original poster is standard etiquette on FreeBSD mailing
>> lists. Most lists are open to anybody to mail to without being signed
>> up, so when replying there's no way of knowing whether or not the
>> questioner will see a reply that only goes to the list. This is
>> especially true of freebsd-questions.
>
> 1) I have posted several times on this list and only received CC's on
> two of them that I can recall. Obviously your standard is not so
> standard.

That's the nice thing about standards, there are so many of them to
choose from.

> 2) I placed a very clear notice at the bottom of my post(s). Many
> people would consider that a clue as to my desire to receive multiple
> copies of the same document.

Expecting people to actually read and react to your disclaimer....now
that's *not* standard, given the wild proliferation of meaningless
disclaimers necessitated by current thinking on various liability matters.

> 3) Perhaps it is only me; however, most of the major lists that I
> employ all require a registration by the poster prior to being allowed
> to post.

Try to be friendly and helpful to non-subscribers...much too old school
for a modern dude like you, it appears.

> 4) I have seen several posts where the OP requested to be CC'd because
> they were not registered members of the list. Obviously, they were
> aware of the necessity of being CC'd or reading the archives in order
> to review any posts to their request. Now, is someone is just so plain
> stupid that they are not aware of that simple fact, then they are too
> stupid to be posting to begin with.

You're conflating ignorance and stupidity.  Not really the same thing.
Shall we have a rousing discussion as to whether this is ignorant or
stupid of you?

Feh!

> 5) If you noticed, I asked Odhiambo very nicely not to include me in a
> CC. I am sure he meant well; however, the inevitable destruction of
> electrons in the transmission of the superfluous document could have
> been avoided.

If you'd just shaken your head and gone away quietly, instead of making
your numbered list and sharing with us all, a lot more electrons would
have gone on to have happy, productive lives doing something useful.
But, no, you had to move up the heat death of the universe by 3 seconds.

--

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com