Linksys-E4200 Wireless N-router

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 14:32:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 17:00:43 +0300
Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> articulated:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 15:54, Carmel <carmel_ny at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with a
> > "Linksys-E4200 Wireless N-router"
> > <
> > http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-E4200-MaximumPerformance-Wirelessn-router_stcVVproductId122703236VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm?icid=meet-series-e4200-image-btn&src2=meet-eseries-e4200-image-btn
> > >?
> >
> > I know that FreeBSD probably does not support its wireless
> > functions as it employs 802.11n wireless technology; however, other
> > than that does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this unit?
> >
> > I have a rather old Linksys "WRT150N Wireless" that I am considering
> > replacing with something more robust.
> >
> > I have a mixture of both Windows and FreeBSD machines. I can use the
> > windows PCs to get the router configured, etcetera and use them and
> > the printer via a wireless connection. The FreeBSD units will have
> > to be connected directly unfortunately.
> >

> Look at http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.2R/hardware.html#WLAN
>
> If you identify a WiFi card on that list and install it on your
> FreeBSD box, then you can connect with wireless!

Odhiambo, please don't CC me. I don't need multiple copies of the same
post.

If you look carefully at that list, which by the way I have done
previously, their are scant few "802.11n" wireless cards listed. The
few that might work appear to be lower end units. I have Linksys
WMP300N units installed in my older PCs. The newer units will have the
Linksys WMP600N installed. They are not listed on the URL listed above.
At least one of my Laptops has a Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030, 1x2 bgn
(2.4GHz) + Bluetooth device installed. I am not even sure if that is
supported, although at the present time I don't require it since it
runs Windows-7.

--
Carmel ✌
carmel_ny at hotmail.com