f77 in FreeBSD 8.2

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 00:44:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Eduardo Viruena Silva <
eduardo.viruena at esfm.ipn.mx> wrote:

> Hello, FreeBSD gurus,
>
> I have noticed that the Fortran Compiler f77 that used to be
> in freebsd sources is not longer there in version 8.2-stable,
> now it's in the obsolete software list.
>
> Nevertheless, it has some directories in the sources:
>
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77/Makefile
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f771
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f771/Makefile
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77doc
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77doc/Makefile
>

> How can I install that compiler?
>
> The one in the ports does not work as fine as the the one in
> the sources.
>

> Thanks in advace,
>
>     Eduardo.
>
> PS. Please answer to my e-mail address, I'm not subscribed to
> the list.

My answer is NOT related directly to your question , please forgive me .

I am using G95 ( from www.g95.org which is in the packages of FreeBSD ) in
Windows and Linux , and I like it very much because it generates very good
code , especially if the stack traces are enabled in command line , on run
time errors it is giving nearly exact source line of the error point with a
list of called subroutines chain  . Since the G95 is generated from the same
sources for the FreeBSD , I think there is no difference between platform
related compilers .

Another point is ( if your source files have .FOR extension , it is using
Fortran 77 , if it is .F90 , it is using the Fortran 95 ( be careful about
cases of letters ) . For such points , please read its manual . If any
Fortran 77 source file has .F90 extension , it will produce a lot of errors
because Fortran 77 is fixed line format based , Fortran 90 or 95 is free
line format based .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk