remaining goal.. .

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Apr 5 18:05:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 11:42:33AM +0100, Arthur Chance wrote:
> On 04/05/11 00:39, Gary Kline wrote:
> >>
> >>I would suggest using Diagnostics/Backup/restore on the current system
> >>to save a copy of the configuration in a .xml file.
> >
> >	Done.  in fact i have two copies.
> >
> >>Then install pfSense on the new machine by whatever means are
> >>available -- I think the current two options are bootable CD-R and
> >>bootable USB stick, but there may be others for embedded systems  --
> >>I'm not familiar with those.
> >

> >	That is axactly my problem.  This is a tiny 4watt kit type
> >	deal, all solid state with with memory that requires some
> >	special kind of burner.  [I have the latest pfSense tarball
> >	and my .xml restore/update file.  ... so, software side, i'm
> >	all set.]
>
> I use pfSense, but my system (based on an Alix 2D3 board) has a
> compact flash drive, so I simply dd the disk image onto the CF card
> on my normal FBSD box, and plug it into the Alix, which is the usual
> way of deploying embedded pfSense. What hardware are you using? Does
> it have any CF or SD card capability, or maybe a USB port?

	It is a Alix 601 board with 1G of CF flash.  But according to my
	hardware friend, it will take a CF burner of some kind.  I'm
	sure the kit has the right ports and I have the right sized
	pfSense image....  for me , it's messing with plugging things
	together and figuring out which cables go where.  That's where
	i'm in the dark. ...be nice if i could do without theis
	"burner"...

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 7.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org