remaining goal.. .

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Tue Apr 5 10:42:37 UTC 2011

On 04/05/11 00:39, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 03:39:19PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Gary Kline<kline at thought.org>  wrote:
>>>         simply that i'm looking for somebody  who know how to transfer pfsense
>>>         from a standalone system to this kit.
>>
>> I would suggest using Diagnostics/Backup/restore on the current system
>> to save a copy of the configuration in a .xml file.
>
> 	Done.  in fact i have two copies.
>
>> Then install pfSense on the new machine by whatever means are
>> available -- I think the current two options are bootable CD-R and
>> bootable USB stick, but there may be others for embedded systems  --
>> I'm not familiar with those.
>

> 	That is axactly my problem.  This is a tiny 4watt kit type
> 	deal, all solid state with with memory that requires some
> 	special kind of burner.  [I have the latest pfSense tarball
> 	and my .xml restore/update file.  ... so, software side, i'm
> 	all set.]

I use pfSense, but my system (based on an Alix 2D3 board) has a compact
flash drive, so I simply dd the disk image onto the CF card on my normal
FBSD box, and plug it into the Alix, which is the usual way of deploying
embedded pfSense. What hardware are you using? Does it have any CF or SD
card capability, or maybe a USB port?