Hitting kern.openfile ~= kern.maxfiles

Murray Taylor MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Mon Apr 4 05:15:48 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I am getting sporadic Xorg / KDE lockups or
process crashes. It seems to be related to hitting the
kern.maxfiles value.
What I am seeing looks like a lot of unclosed file descriptors that are
clogging
the system badly.

FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Nov 21 15:48:17 UTC 2009

Xorg 7.5

KDE 3.5.10_7

Firefox 3.6.8,1

I use Kmail to access my dovecot server on another box.

Symptoms include messages like unable to cd into
/home/me/stuff/next_level
Or unable to access a shared lib. If I close konqerer or kamail or
firefox,
Then it sometimes comes good, other wise the best solution is to logout
of
KDE / Xorg and (re)startx again.

At the command prompt, without Xorg / KDE running I usually see and
kern.openfiles value of about 350, It will jump up to about 900 or more
on
the startx which also launches KDE, that up to arounf 10000, 11000 with
Kmail, konqerer and firefox running. It will sometime hover there for
days,
Then go up and cause freezes, nonstarts etc . Other times it will go up
Within a hour or so....

I've looked at tuning(7) and currently kern.maxfiles is set to 24000.

I have hald and dbus running for xorg

Any udeas ?

--
Murray Taylor
Bytecraft Systems

P: +61 3 8710 0600
D: +61 3 9238 4275
F: +61 3 9238 4140

 |_|0|_|        "Absence of evidence
 |_|_|0|        is not evidence of absence"
 |0|0|0|        Carl Sagan
The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.