am i back up....???

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Apr 4 00:43:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 02:33:53AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 18:15:48 -0600, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com>
> wrote:
> > I've seen Roundcube do this crap.  It does *not* make me happy when
> > trying to skim through emails quickly -- and it can be bad when
> > reading more closely, too.
>
> You're fully correct, it may not be the best solution for power users.

My point is more that it's not the best solution for people whose emails
might ever be read by "power users", or anyone else who, y'know, reads
email discussions.

> In this case, an IMAP-capable *local* client program would be much
> better. With local caching, you can also improve speed. And even
> programs with good keyboard support are possible, even programs for use
> in text mode do exist (a welcome solution for blind users).

. . . like Mutt.  Yeah, I know it.

> Sadly, my dear customers wanted web mail, and they insisted on
> RoundCube, so they got it. They're slow in thinkind and reading, slower
> in typing, so the program speed is still too fast for them. That's all
> the magic behind the story. :-)

Well . . . I guess if someone demands a crappy program, you either give
it to them or effectively convince them to get it from someone else.  I
just don't really think it's a great idea to bring up software that makes
communication difficult without being prompted for it when giving
suggestions for how people should do things.