Location of sensors

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Sep 29 17:24:11 UTC 2010

Hi--

On Sep 29, 2010, at 7:12 AM, David Demelier wrote:
> I just wonder how to know the location of the sensors, I got a lot of them on my HP Probook laptop :
>
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 87.0C
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.temperature: 47.0C
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz2.temperature: 72.0C
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz3.temperature: 59.0C
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz4.temperature: 26.4C
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz5.temperature: 55.0C

On a good day, HP will have documented their ACPI zones well enough for you to tell what they are.  It's also possible that contacting HP's support might dig up more info.

Failing that, however, you might be able to look at the Hardware/Health Status page in the BIOS, note the relative temperatures being displayed and what they are with, and then compare the sysctl output after a boot.  You might also be able to boot into Windows and try running a vendor-supplied thermal monitoring utility, and either look for debugging info, perhaps in the logs if it produces any, or again try to figure out the correspondence.

Regards,
--
-Chuck