[Freebsd-update]cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory

Bastien Semene bsemene at cyanide-studio.com
Wed Sep 29 14:02:58 UTC 2010

  Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a system from 8.0-RELEASE to 8.1-RELEASE, but I
have the following (non critical) errors :
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
This line appears hundred of times.
After that, freebsd-update claims that many files are non existent in
the new version and ask to delete them :

/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
Attempting to automatically merge changes in files... done.

The following file will be removed, as it no longer exists in
FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE: /boot/device.hints
Does this look reasonable (y/n)? n

I have updated other systems without any difficulty (from the same 8.0
patch level to 8.1).

I tried to delete /var/db/freebsd-update folder, but it changes nothing.
Same error.
I found older posts with people searching in the code which function did
the error, but because everything was fine with the same context on
other systems I think freebsd-update is mislead (it seems to miss the
name of the file) at some point.

Does anyone have some hints or direction to follow ?

Thanks,

--
Bastien Semene
Administrateur Réseau&  Système