Python 2 and Python 3

J. Altman freebsd-announce at chthonic.com
Thu Sep 23 18:01:56 UTC 2010

Greetings...

uname -a:

FreeBSD whisperer.chthonixia.net 8.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p1
#0: Mon Sep 20 13:09:28 EDT 2010
root at whisperer.chthonixia.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WHISPERER  amd64

I am interested in installing Python 3 to follow examples in a
beginner's programming book.

I found this:

========================

September 1st, 2010, 12:49
I have python 2.5, 2.6 and 3.1 installed.

Python 2.6 is the default now I believe so you should not need to do
anything special.

To be safe you can edit make.conf to contain the following

Code:

PYTHON_VERSION=2.6
PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION=2.6

====================================

As I understand it, the entry into make.conf should keep me from
breaking python-related things in the base or ports; yet allow me to
call the version I want at the command line or via IDLE.

Then, when Python is upgraded, I should change the make.conf entry to
2.7, or whatever it becomes.

Is there any other recommendation(s) this list might offer? I don't
have any major goals beyond those of a self-taught beginner, if that
makes sense.

Please feel free to Cc: me, as I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks for your time, and best regards,

Joe