GUI Suggested?

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 09:33:14 UTC 2010

On Thursday 23 September 2010, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> After years of KDE3 I tried KDE4 and switched back in half a day.
> I found it crawling slowly, with continuous crashes, rendering bugs
> and missing features...
>
> Of course, YMMV.

That's very similar to my experience too but I'm getting the feeling
that I might have to move over to KDE4 before much longer due to
reduced KDE3 support with some of the apps:

1) There's a problem with gnupg > 2.0.9 and Kgpg with KDE 3.5 which
prevents kgpg parsing the keyring <https://bugs.kde.org/188473>.
Apparently the code is totally different from what is in KDE4 and is
scattered over several places so fixing this for KDE3 will
(understandably) not be done. I've stuck with gnupg-2.0.9_3 which is
still working OK but the recent removal of libassuan-1 causes a problem
if I ever need to rebuild gnupg-2.0.9_3

2) kaffeine-1.0_1 now depends on some KDE4 libraries, I suspect other
apps will follow in due course with the result that I'll start to see
more bloat and potential conflicts.

When I first tried KDE4 it was much slower than KDE3, have things
improved sufficiently since then for me to think about upgrading?

--
Mike Clarke