migrate system disk

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Thu Sep 23 06:19:19 UTC 2010

El día Thursday, September 23, 2010 a las 09:37:42AM +0800, Edward escribió:

> > I have an old HDD which should be replaced soon, actually that HDD stands as my
> > system disk, what is your suggesion, how should I migrate the FreeBSD 8.1 from
> > the old disk to the new one?
>
> I've used to do this a lot for server hardware migration, moving from 1
> server to another new server. This blog post recorded what I tried & did :
> http://scratching.psybermonkey.net/2010/01/freebsd-backup-and-restore-freebsd.html

I did an similar aproach, moving a complete system by dump/restore to
another (virtual) hardware to get a 1:1 clone of my laptop. The steps
are documented in detail here:

http://www.unixarea.de/OS/moveFreeBSDintoVM.txt

HIH

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211