GUI Suggested?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Sep 23 03:57:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Jorge Biquez wrote:

> I was wondering if you can tell suggest me based on yoru experience on what
> path to follow? KDE? any other?

The Handbook covers setting up the three major desktop environments in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html.

You don't have to choose one of those, there are lots of varied window
managers, and advocates for each.  There's an overview here on fd.o:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Desktops.  Many of those are in ports.

> I would like to test what you suggest is the best for you and if possible
> that it is not TOO complicated to setup. The idea is to use it as my desktop
> plattfor (documents, browser, email, etc)

Personally, I currently use xfce as "lighter" than the other members of
the big three, while still offering the features I want.  But it really
is very subjective.  For various purposes, I've used GNOME, KDE, icewm,
fluxbox, blackbox, and others.  Ports make these all pretty easy to
install.