Widescreen Monitor and X Help please

Scott Ballantyne sdb at ssr.com
Wed Sep 22 21:13:55 UTC 2010

Hello Brian,

> So if you return to the tty that you started X from (maybe by Alt-F1) and
> hit Ctrl-C, that doesn't kill your X session? Reboot seems a bit drastic.

That's correct. It kills the X session, but the terminal remains dark,
and switches to 'lower power' mode. Using ctrl-alt-f1 or alt-f1
doesn't change the screen setting.

> I struggled with widescreen config for a while until I realized the Tao
> solution was best - have you tried starting X without any
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf at all?

Tao solution? I'm not sure what that is, but I have tried just typing
'startx' and also tried starting using xdm. Unfortunately everything
has the same result, which is a blank screen in power savermode :(

Thanks for your help.
Scott