migrate system disk

Dánielisz László laszlo_danielisz at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 17:21:01 UTC 2010

I'm using UFS.
Thank you!

________________________________
From: Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de>
To: Dánielisz László <laszlo_danielisz at yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Sent: Wed, September 22, 2010 6:06:46 PM
Subject: Re: migrate system disk

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:06:13 -0700 (PDT), Dánielisz László
<laszlo_danielisz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an old HDD which should be replaced soon, actually that HDD stands as my
>
> system disk, what is your suggesion, how should I migrate the FreeBSD 8.1 from

> the old disk to the new one?

Are you running ZFS or UFS on that disk? If UFS, go with the
classical way: use dump + restore. There's a very good example
in the handbook.

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/backup-basics.html

Also look here:

Use a FreeBSD live system CD or DVD to prepare the target disk
(install boot code, make slices and partitions); you can also
use sysinstall to do that.

Then go with dump + restore. You'll find more hints when searching
the mailing list archive.

If you're on ZFS, use ZFS's tools to export and re-import the
pool, quite simple.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany