The nightmarish problem of installing a printer

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Wed Sep 22 00:26:16 UTC 2010

> From cpghost at cordula.ws  Tue Sep 21 12:34:21 2010
> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:36:00 +0200
> Subject: Re: The nightmarish problem of installing a printer
> From: "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost at cordula.ws>
> To: Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de>
> Cc: Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com>, freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 02:42:22 +0200, "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost at cordula.ws> wrote:
> >
> > Keep in mind there are stupid things in the world as patents,
> > intelellectual property, licensing fees and copyrighted secret
> > codes.
>
> Yes, that's indeed the real problem. A legal, not a technical one.
>
> > At the moment there was a program (or any other kind of
> > facility) that makes Winprinters accessible by *ANY* OS (not
> > only FreeBSD, but maybe all BSDs and Linusi and Solaris and
> > who knows what else), MICROS~1 would start violently screaming
> > as someone is eating from their cake. Keep in mind that Winprinters
> > are an important target platform for home users who PAY for
> > "Windows" and PAY for a "compatible" printer. They pay once
> > every two years or so. MICROS~1 and the printer manufacturers
> > can't stand it if one uses their products too long, as long-term
> > use does imply NO FURTHER SALES. And now imagine that a user
> > can fully use all features of a formerly-Winprinter all-in-one
> > ink pee copier scanner fax machine - where would be his need to
> > buy a "Windows" to do that as he can now use FreeBSD for free?
>
> As far as I understand this, Microsoft doesn't manufacture those
> winprinters, so why would they screem if those printers were able
> to run on other platform too?

A) *THEY* developed the interface specifications. They license printer
manufacurers to build to it.   They _would_ obejct if somebody used
their technology to compete against them.

B) As it is, to _use_ one of those printers, you *HAVE*TO*BY* a MS O/S.
   if one could use those printers -without- a MS O/S, that is a
   'provable' loss in MS O/S sales -- one sales loss for -each- non-MS
   system that has such a printer attached.